LYNX-DEV Lack of timeout

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lack of timeout
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 08:15:45 -0500 (EST)

I have been using lynx as a web checker now for about a year and it works
pretty good.  It makes it pretty easy to tell if a web server is
completely unavailable.  There is one circumstance, however, that this
fails on and I would like to figure out how to get around it.

Sometimes one of my web servers will freak out and it will accept
connections but never respond with data.  This locks lynx up waiting for
something to happen, and it will stay this way until the process is
killed.  I have seen one hung for 6 hours before.

What can I do to make lynx time out automatically?