Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums"

From: Howard Kaikow
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums"
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 16:20:23 -0500

Following up, I went to www.wopr.com and grabbed the HTML that appears to
be involved in posting. I give that below. I then did the following
experiment.

1. On my PC, I created a file that had only the following HTML, i.e., no
<BODY> or anything else. Call the file TextForm.htm.

2. I opened TextForm.htm with Microsoft IE 3.

3. I then chose an all text file of about a page in length

4. I copied the file to the clipboard and then pasted it into the window
for posting the message.

All of the text was properly included in the message, so IE and that
particular HTML are not adverse to my pasting in such text.

I then copied TextForm.htm to my shell account at my ISP.

Using Lynx 2.7.1, I opened TextForm.htm and pasted the text into the
message area. Same problem as before.

Apparently some buffer is overflowing and the charaacters are getting sent
to Lynx commands.

Is there a way to rewrite the HTML to avoid this?

Or is this problem inherent in Lynx used via a shell account?

The following is TextForm.htm.

<P><FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.wopr.com/lounge/index.cgi?post";>
<P><CENTER><TABLE border=0><TR>
<TD ALIGN=RIGHT><P><STRONG>Name:</STRONG></TD><TD><INPUT TYPE=TEXT
NAME="name" SIZE=40></TD></TR><TR>
<TD ALIGN=RIGHT><P><STRONG>Email:</STRONG></TD><TD><INPUT TYPE=TEXT
NAME="email" SIZE=40></TD></TR><TR>
<TD ALIGN=RIGHT><P><STRONG>Subject:</STRONG></TD><TD><INPUT TYPE=TEXT
NAME="subject" SIZE=40 MAXLENGTH=100></TD></TR><TR>
<TD COLSPAN=2 ALIGN=Center><p>To quote a live link, copy and edit
this:<br>&lt;a href="http://www.wopr.com/"&gt;The WOPR
Website&lt;/a&gt;<Br>For &lt;grin&gt; copy and paste this:
&#38;lt;grin&#38;gt;<br>To force a line break, use &lt;br&gt;<br>for a tab
use &#38;nbsp;&#38;nbsp;&#38;nbsp;&#38;nbsp; (ie 4
spaces)<br><STRONG>Message:</STRONG><BR><TEXTAREA COLS=60 ROWS=5
NAME="body" WRAP=VIRTUAL>
</TEXTAREA></TD></TR><TR>
<TH COLSPAN=2><!HR WIDTH=50%><P><INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT NAME="Preview"
VALUE="Preview Message"> <INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT NAME="Post" VALUE="Post
Message"></TH></TR></TABLE></CENTER></P></FORM>