Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums"

From: Howard Kaikow
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums"
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 08:32:47 -0500

The alternative is to buffer the input and count the lines.
Issuing a message when the line count is exceeded or, if possible,
(optionally) increasing the size of the text area.

I did a further experiment with IE 3. IE 3 appears to have a limit of
exactly 30000 bytes in the buffer for the TEXTAREA. Dunno if that depends
on the number of columns and rows. In this case, there were 60 columns and
5 rows, so it might be allocating 100 bytes per line.

I also tested using Mosaic 2.11 and a crippled version of Netscape 2.02.
Both accepted the 30000 bytes in the 60 x 5 TEXTAREA.

Originally, the message that I was actually trying to post was less than a
page in length. I include it below, between the dashed lines.

It would seem reasonable to be able to paste such messages into a TEXTAREA.
With Word 7.0a, using  the following macro, I get a very strange, but
reproducible error:

Sub MAIN
EditFindClearFormatting
Dim dlg As EditFind
GetCurValues dlg
dlg.Find = ""   ' Clear whatever was there before, as it might have been a
state secret
dlg.Wrap = 2
status = Dialog(dlg)
End Sub

Running the macro:

1. I insert, say, the letter "q" in the Find What box.

2. As "q" is not in the document, I get the expected message issued by Word
asking whether I wish to search at the other end.

3. If I respond No, the macro terminates as expected.

4. If I respond Yes, I get the expected Word message that the entire
document has been searched and the text was not found. However, instead of
just seeing "Microsoft Word" in the title bar of the message box, I see:

Microsoft Word Err = xxxx

where xxxx is either 1536 or 1537.

This makes no sense.

Error 1536 is "Word cannot find or run the print manager".
Error 1537 is "A valid date or time is required".

Anybody seen this before?
Is there a way around the problem?

PS: I've also tried this with an On Error before the Dialog statement, same
result.

PPS: Does Word 8 have the same problem?