Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: please say "THIS IS A TABLE!"

From: Lloyd Rasmussen
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: please say "THIS IS A TABLE!"
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 98 16:20:43 PST

I agree that tables are a problem for Lynx.  As a blind user of the program, I
mostly don't care whether I'm in a table or not, and would rather minimize
extraneous information.

I find that tables such as the timetable or calendar previously discussed will
be more readable in a GUI browser, because, with some patience, you can find
out where each cell is located.  Lynx jumbles the cells together too much,
especially when a table wraps onto additional lines.

The behavior of obeying <br> and some other tags within cells is useful.

Lynx does a very useful service when you view pages like www.news.com, because
it decolumnizes it for you.  Sites like this are not much fun in Windows with a
screen reader because the reader cannot reliably separate the columns and let
you just read the middle one where the news story is displayed.

In summary, as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't change Lynx's behavior in
displaying tables.