Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums"

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums"
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 00:55:17 +0000 (GMT)

> >Apparently some buffer is overflowing and the charaacters are getting sent
> >to Lynx commands.

Based on a fifteen minute look at the code, Lynx 2.7.2 violates the
July draft of HTML 4.0.  What I think it is doing is converting textarea
into a series of text field internally and then re-assembling them when
it submits the form.  As a result it can't scroll vertically.  The
HTML 4.0 draft I have in hard copy says that neither the number of
rows nor columns should limit the amount of data entered.

The problem then arises for Lynx of:  how do you get out of the text area.
At the moment an excess CR or downarrow will do this, but if you make it
scrollable, you need another way out.

However, I would say you are using the wrong approach if you try and
manipulate the screen; you should be using -post_data on the command
line.

> ><P><FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.wopr.com/lounge/index.cgi?post";>

That parameter set should be compatible with -post_data; you just have
to remember to URL encode everything.

> >spaces)<br><STRONG>Message:</STRONG><BR><TEXTAREA COLS=60 ROWS=5
> >NAME="body" WRAP=VIRTUAL>
               ^^^^   This parameter doesn't appear to exist in HTML 4.0
                      unless it is a core attribute, which I doubt.