Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: please say "THIS IS A TABLE!"

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: please say "THIS IS A TABLE!"
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 11:05:24 +0000 (GMT)

> 980327 David Combs commented on announcing tables on the page:
> > What about a BLIND person?  How is he/she supposed to know
> > that the info should be mentally reorganized into TWO dimensional GROUPINGS

Some of the HTML 4.0 features intended for to help the blind could be
handled by Lynx, I suspect.  Just labelling the start and end of a table
is unlikely to help that much.  However the point remains that most tables are
not used for this purpose and very few authors are motivated to consider
minority audiences (pointing them at legislation will only annoy them and
result in tokenism).