Re: LYNX-DEV caching & \ (was 2.7.2 report)

From: Roger Hill
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV caching & \ (was 2.7.2 report)
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 07:19:58 -0400 (GMT+4)

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Philip Webb wrote:

> many people have complained about this from time to time:
> as far as i can remember, back in the days of the prophets
> one of them denounced such behaviour as contrary to the 10 Lynx commandments
> (whatever they were (grin)) & no-one felt willing to disagree.
> in these more modern times, is there indeed any reason
> why Lynx cannot cache the source version of a page obtained by  \ ,
> just like any other page, while keeping the rendered version also in cache?
> there's always  ^r  to force a re-write.
> certainly, i find traditional behaviour a nuisance.

Is this not all part of the fact that Lynx is a one-pass renderer? If the
original source were stored _anywhere_ in cache within Lynx then there
would be no major problem parsing tables etc ('cos you could do one scan
for max widths etc, and a secod scan to display the table). As far as I
can remember, (and I've lurked on this list since 2.5 was a gleam in
Fote's eye), Lynx does NOT store source at all. Hence the need for the
second retrieval.

Roger

Roger Hill, P.O.Box 4T, Barbados, West Indies.   E-mail:address@hidden
Tel:246-436-6530/228-0677/230-9596                  Fax:246-433-8365