Re: LYNX-DEV Viewing pages as they're downloading

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Viewing pages as they're downloading
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 08:04:24 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, David Woolley wrote:

> > A feature of commercial browsers like Netscape is that they
> > display the text (and/or images) while it's downloading,
> > which is useful with a very bulky document or a slow link.
> > With Lynx one has to wait for the whole thing to be
> > retrieved before seeing it. Is there some fundamental
>
> Yes.  I find that annoying, especially as one of the reasons that Lynx
> can't do tables is that it uses a one pass renderer, which must mean
> that it has done most of the work as soon as the data arrives.  I've
> thought of looking at this, but I don't really have the time and
> I have other things higher on my priority list for non-work programming.

There was a partial display hack posted long ago that just slapped up what
has been rendered so far.  It never made it into lynx though, maybe
because it was just a kludge (albeit a working one).  I added it to bobcat
because it was such a small change.  I assume it is still usable, at least
until we graduate from a one pass renderer.