Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?

From: Ari Moisio
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 14:54:13 +0300 (EET DST)

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Philip Webb wrote:

> 980328 Wayne Buttles wrote:
> > Matt Ackeret <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> So nobody knows how to get lynx to save the user agent?
> > As I remember it, Fote is the reason it was never implemented.
> >   www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0797/msg00460.html
>
> Fote seems to have retired -- at least he hasn't appeared for a while -- ,
> but the point he made does have merit; however, given that he objected
> to saving the user agent, what was his excuse for allowing it to be changed
> in the option screen in the first place?  ie if it's ok to change it,
> what is the precise additional objection to being able to save it?
> does the current Lynx consensus still support his view of the matter?
> (ok, i should go look at his message 9707 ... )

  But doesn't MSIE use that same method anyway or have i misundersstood
that useragent string witch is passed to cgi scripts for example.

  Or what does folowin user agent means:

  Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.01; Windows 95)

--
Ari Moisio, Niittykatu 7, 41160 Tikkakoski, +358-40-5055239
<address@hidden><address@hidden><address@hidden>