Re: LYNX-DEV UNIXish and DOSish software

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV UNIXish and DOSish software
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 13:48:22 +0100 (BST)

>    If you want XFree86, telnetd, or dial-in access, use UNIX! That's what
> it's for! DOS and related OSes are single-user. My opinion is that if a
> person deliberately chooses DOS over UNIX (like I do on my 80386-based IBM

Unfortunately the image that Unix is too difficult has been very efficiently
propagated so that there is still a large demand to do things that are easy
on Unix, but insist that they must be done on Microsoft systems.  (It can
be very difficult to get even free Unixes accepted over NT in many commercial
organisations, and there is also a lot of pressure to defeat the Microsoft
marketing stance and run things that Microsoft only allow on NT Server, on
cheaper, but still Microsoft, systems.)