Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 07:19:09 -0500

From: Ari Moisio <address@hidden>

>  But doesn't MSIE use that same method anyway or have i misundersstood
>that useragent string witch is passed to cgi scripts for example.

Microsoft is a bit larger, with more resources, and more lawyers, than
most of the lynx developers.

There are those among this group who are simply participating in this
activity for fun.  We don't have the resources to be sued - or to even
be called into court for any extended period of time (at the whim of
some corporation) because someone in the group wanted some convenience
feature and didn't want to hack it into the source code their self.

If lynx starts shipping with code to make it easy to lie about the
type of browser it is, and with code that is technically illegal to
ship from the US, you can be sure that a number of folk will drop off
this list as well as quit supporting and recommending lynx as a browser.