LYNX-DEV Downloading a whole web site for local offline browsing

From: Peter D Read
Subject: LYNX-DEV Downloading a whole web site for local offline browsing
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 18:23:53 +0100

I have been searching for some while for something that will
allow me to download a complete web site, so that I can browse
the contents locally at will.
There is a commercial application "Black Widow" that does this
for Windows but I am Unix based.
Lynx seems to be the closest I have got so far.
Using the -crawl and - traverse options I can get all the
files at the specified site downloaded.
However there are two drawbacks to what I would like to
achieve.
Firstly the files are stored as text only, as opposed to their original
html format, and so cannot then be viewed in their intended state
using a suitable bowser.
Secondly they are stored as a filename series (lnk00000000.dat
to lnknnnnnnnn.dat), which means that their filenames give
no clue to their contents.
Since the original filenames and locations are known to
Lynx (otherwise it would not be able to access them),  and
are read in in html format, is there already a method by which I
can achieve what I want  ie create a local mirror of the site
such that all the files bear the original names, are in html,
and in the same relative position so that they can be accessed
by a browser? I realise the links might need some adjustment
to make them local, rather than absolute.
A third problem might be that Lynx would only access .html
files, and not other types of file (eg  .gif), but I assume this
could be overcome,
I had initially thought of adapting the source code to do this,
but though it worth discussing this in case it is already
achievable, or alternatively if anyone knows of any other
application that can achieve this

Thanks

Pete Read
Systems Manager
ESSC (Environmental Systems Science Centre)
The University of Reading
Harry Pitt Building
3 Earley Gate
Whiteknights, PO BOX 238