Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 18:43:50 -0500 (EST)

980330 Scott McGee wrote:
> I ask that the dev team consider the liability to the college that currently
> hosts development. If administrators here feel that such a change causes them
> any legal liability, they would certainly ask me to have development work
> here suspended and remove such code from college systems.

i don't think anyone could question that you have a right of veto,
given your continuing kind support for the lynx-dev effort.

in the case of SSL, there really are grounds for apprehension,
given that one would be dealing with the US Federal authorities
over what they would claim is a national-security issue
& given the generally ruthless way in which laws are enforced in the US.
however, the user-agent issue does seem very different on both grounds
& my problem remains intellectual (since i don't want to use the option),
ie why is it ok to permit the change one occasion at a time,
but not ok to permit the change to be saved?
Larry (today) is the one person so far to offer an explanation,
but it didn't convince me (smile).

anyway, it really has to be debated by those who do want to use it.