Re: LYNX-DEV Partial Display

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Partial Display
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:19:05 -0800 (PST)

> From address@hidden Sun Mar 29 20:22:28 1998
> Date:         Sun, 29 Mar 1998 22:53:30 -0500
> From: Jacob Poon <address@hidden>
>
> On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Wayne Buttles wrote:
>
> > I found it odd that no one commented on the issue of partial dispay of
> > pages as they are loading.  Maybe it isn't a feature that is normally
> > wanted.
> >
> > I didn't want to let it drop, however, without making sure the issue was
> > settled.  I repatched the original code offered by
> > address@hidden
> > <http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1096/msg00014.html> to work with
> > 2.8.1dev and offer it here.  The code is rusty and needs work for both
> > correctness and usefullness since it is still in its original form.  The
> > real test is just to compile it in, fire up a REALLY long page, and hit
> > the space bar.
>
> [snip]
>
> Just wondering, is it possible to adjust the refresh rate so that it works
> better in slow terminals (eg shell account + modem connection)?

How slow?

Back in the 110-baud days (used for bad lines), when the
standard was 300-baud, RMS added a "slowly-mode" to emacs.

When a search found the next occurrence of a pattern say 50 lines
further down in a file, instead of doing the "normal" thing of
redisplaying the entire screen at the new location, it would
instead display just ONE SINGLE LINE anew, at the TOP of the
screen.  That line of course being the line where the thing
was found.

If that wasn't the line you wanted, a subsequent ^s (equiv to
a "n" in lynx) would find the NEXT such line, and display THAT
as a single line at the top of the screen.

Only when you finally hit <return> would it redisplay the ENTIRE
screen, this time of the area around that final "accepted" found-line.

---

I still set up emacs this way today, even though locally it displays
at 9600 or more, because it saves my EYES having to search the
screen for the found line (ie, where the cursor is just then).
Keeping my eyes fixed at that top line is MUCH easier, I find.

Still easier even when the found-lines are in color, as in lynx
(although I never have gotten it to work via MY shell acct, via
kermit).

Would be a nice (optional) feature to add to lynx -- but probably
not trivial?