Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: please say "THIS IS A TABLE!"

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: please say "THIS IS A TABLE!"
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 08:25:13 +0100 (BST)

> I don't know what do you mean by tracking rows and columns.   What I was

> OK, one would have to somehow deal with COLSPAN/ROWSPAN and so on.

This was what I meant by tracking them.  Once you have to take account
of missed columns (rowspan will cause this), its not much further to
actually tagging each column with the TH data or the abbreviated form
allowed by HTML 4.  From there, you can start thinking about tracking
the other cell labelling strategies from HTML 4.  I can't remember if
there are any forward references allowed, which would break the Lynx
rendering strategy.

Your approach (and I must admit I thought you were talking of a form
of numbered links) would then be done with DL (it's a pity that Lynx
has followed the GUI trend of ignoring the reccommended layout for DL
and always starting a new line for the DD, although I note that CSS2 now
has styles that will require the original behaviour).