LYNX-DEV yet another strange lynx/site interaction

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: LYNX-DEV yet another strange lynx/site interaction
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 05:31:34 -0500

I ran into a site yesterday that I couldn't work my way thru using
lynx 2.8.1rev5.

I am going to try later today using Netscape, but wanted some input from
someone familar with lynx's http protocol.  The site uses the referer field
on HTTP requests to make sure that people have viewed the terms of service
agreement.  Moving thru the site generates no errors by Lynx or the server
- but it also doesn't let me thru the pages.

The site is <URL:http://www.onelist.com/>.  I was following the path of
a new user of the site, trying to register for one of their free memberships.
If you go to the first page, select the home frame, select the link for
subscribing to their announcment list, select the first time user link,
select the accept link on the Terms of Service, you are back to a page
telling you to select a first time user link.  Selecting that takes one
back to the Terms of Service page.

Also, watch the pages as they are formatted.  A form button called
"Forget your password?" gets misformatted.  I've not had a chance to try
to save off the page's html to see what's wrong in the html, but what
appears to be happening is lynx is writing out the form button on top
of some form text on the page.

I have a -trace of the interaction, but it's pretty large (150k or so)
and so I won't post it to the group.  I would however be interested in
hearing any ideas on what could be done with the site - the folk are
in beta mode and seem willing to cooperate (even if they do use frame
pages - hey, if lynx displays frames - even though it is as links -
why does it display the noframe text?)