Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?

From: Ari Moisio
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 19:30:52 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:

> From: Ari Moisio <address@hidden>
>
> >  But doesn't MSIE use that same method anyway or have i misundersstood
> >that useragent string witch is passed to cgi scripts for example.
>
> There are those among this group who are simply participating in this
> activity for fun.  We don't have the resources to be sued - or to even
> be called into court for any extended period of time (at the whim of
> some corporation) because someone in the group wanted some convenience
> feature and didn't want to hack it into the source code their self.

  There is no need to hack it into source code, one can simply use
-useragent command line parameter when needed.

> If lynx starts shipping with code to make it easy to lie about the
> type of browser it is, and with code that is technically illegal to
> ship from the US, you can be sure that a number of folk will drop off
> this list as well as quit supporting and recommending lynx as a browser.

  I think ssl is bigger problen than useragent string.

  But why MSIE have to lie it's identity, is there something wrong in www
sites too.

--
Ari Moisio, Niittykatu 7, 41160 Tikkakoski, +358-40-5055239
<address@hidden><address@hidden><address@hidden>