Re: LYNX-DEV Tables in Lynx ...

From: nospam-seesignature
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Tables in Lynx ...
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:01:06 -0500

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Heather Stern wrote:

> I ate the fortune cookie first, then read what these folks on lynx-dev wrote:
> AB = Andrew Brennan (address@hidden)
> PW = Philip Webb (address@hidden)
> DC = David Combs
>
> Oh, and apologies in advance for length ;D  I'm particularly interested in
> comments from blind/screen reading users, and SGML wizards who know what
> the DTD looks like today...

Actually it is much harder than it looks.  Mainly because people abuse
table tags more than most other HTML, e.g. what do you do if there are
only 5 <TD> entries on one line and 7 in the next?  What about missing
</TABLE> tags?  Or even missing </TR> (<TR><TD>...<TD>...[implied
/TR]<TR><TD> is a very common abuse).  Another fun thing is <A...> in one
cell and </A> elsewhere.  Or a form that starts and ends in different rows
and columns (i.e. upper right and lower left), or even starts at one
nesting level, goes up, goes down two levels and ends.  I think much of
this is legal, if nonsensical.

It took me several times longer to make my awk script produce something
legible for every form of abuse than to write it originally.

--- reply to tzeruch - at - ceddec - dot - com ---