Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 12:26:24 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Ari Moisio wrote:
>  There is no need to hack it into source code, one can simply use
>-useragent command line parameter when needed.

If I knew there were a command line parameter I probably wouldn't've started
this whole hassle.  I just read the man page, and it doesn't mention a
-useragent parameter.

NOTES
     This is the Lynx v2.7.2 Release for Unix/VMS

Admittedly it's not a 2.8 version of Lynx, but if this parameter has existed,
at least it's not in the man page.

>  But why MSIE have to lie it's identity, is there something wrong in www
>sites too.

MSIE has to lie because web sites did the wrong thing all along, and IE had
to falsify *just to work* with web sites that IE could properly display.
(Though I don't know where it was ever documented to check "just the first
part" of the useragent, where people can put the extra stuff on the end..)