Re: LYNX-DEV Tables in Lynx ...

From: Jan Hlavacek
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Tables in Lynx ...
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 00:40:37 -0500

On Tue, Mar 31, 1998 at 03:01:06PM -0500, address@hidden
wrote:
> Actually it is much harder than it looks.  Mainly because people abuse
> table tags more than most other HTML, e.g. what do you do if there are
> only 5 <TD> entries on one line and 7 in the next?  What about missing
> </TABLE> tags?  Or even missing </TR> (<TR><TD>...<TD>...[implied
> /TR]<TR><TD> is a very common abuse).

Actually,  this is not an abuse.  The </TR> is optional:
<!ELEMENT [371]TR       - O (TH|TD)+    -- table row -->

Also,  I don't think there is anything in HTML DTD that would prevent
you from having different number of cells in different rows.  It may not
make much sense,  but IMHO it is legal.  And if you display table as
numbered list,  all you get is just extra items in some "rows",  no big
deal.

> Another fun thing is <A...> in one cell and </A> elsewhere.  Or a form
> that starts and ends in different rows and columns (i.e. upper right
> and lower left), or even starts at one nesting level, goes up, goes
> down two levels and ends.  I think much of this is legal, if
> nonsensical.

This is true,  there is whole bunch of crapy "HTML" around.  It is not
limited to tables.  You get similar problems with lists.  I even saw
form which started inside body,  and ended outside the whole <HTML>
</HTML> element.  The current version of lynx can handle this stuff
pretty well.

lahvak
--
Jan Hlav\'{a}\v{c}ek