Re: LYNX-DEV Telnet Downloading from lynx

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Telnet Downloading from lynx
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 18:37:23 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, jungle wrote:

> I use a mac se and telnet to lynx from my isp (northcoast.com) to
> trfn.clpgh.org
> How does one use zmodem or kermit from within  ncsa telnet 2.6 to download

I am not sure of exactly what you want to do, but I sense some confusion
about how various computers and programs are connected. It would be
quite unusual to "telnet to lynx" from an ISP. There are three ways that
I can see for you to use lynx:
1. You could use the mac port of lynx from your own computer and connect
to your ISP via ppp or slip, so it seems as if you are connected to the
internet.
2. You could connect to your ISP via modem going into a shell account,
and use lynx from the shell account.
3. You could connect to your ISP via modem going into a shell account,
and telnet to a public lynx program (very inefficient).

If you are connecting to a shell account, and want to download files to
your home computer from a remote computer that you access via http or
ftp from lynx there are two main choices. The first is to save the file
as a local file on your shell account, then later transfer to your home
computer by any compatible protocol that your home computer and the ISP
shell can agree upon. The second is to configure lynx to make this one
of the download options. So far, it sounds like the second would be too
complicated for you to do on your own. You might need to ask your ISP to
configure lynx for the download option that you need.

If you really need to transfer files across telnet, kermit can work if
properly configured on both sides of the transfer. Zmodem will generally
fail, since it usually requires 8-bit transparency.

> from stalker called port connect. I have zterm and mac kermit can ther work

If you are on a unix shell account, the usual command to transfer a file
to your home computer via kermit is "kermit -is <filename>", where you
replace <filename> by the name of the file you want to transfer. After
the transfer has succeeded, remove it from your shell account with the
command "rm <filename>". To transfer via zmodem,  try the command
"sz -b <filename>", then remove the file with "rm <filename>".

If you mean that you connect to your ISP, then telnet to the Three
Rivers Freenet by typing "telnet trfn.clpgh.org" and are connected to
their lynx implementation, you can probably transfer files via kermit,
but I would advise instead connecting from a lynx implementation on your
ISP, by either
1. typing "lynx", then the "ENTER" key, then "g" for the goto prompt,
then "http://trfn.clpgh.org/";, then the "ENTER" key again, or
2. typing 'lynx "http://trfn.clpgh.org"; '.

If this doesn't make sense to you, let us know (step by step) how you
get to lynx, what you mean by "telnet to lynx", and how you access the
files that you want to get to your home computer.
                               Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)