Re: LYNX-DEV Telnet Downloading from lynx

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Telnet Downloading from lynx
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 05:14:25 -0500

From: Doug Kaufman <address@hidden>

> On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, jungle wrote:
>
> > I use a mac se and telnet to lynx from my isp (northcoast.com) to
> > trfn.clpgh.org
> > How does one use zmodem or kermit from within  ncsa telnet 2.6 to download
>
> I am not sure of exactly what you want to do, but I sense some confusion

Note that i suspect this use of the word 'lynx' is similar to the use of
the word 'telnet' as a verb - frequently i hear folk say they 'telnet' to
a site when they mean to connect to their ISP and then run telnet.

I read jungle as saying "I am a Mac user.  I use telnet to northcoast,
then invoke the command:
lynx trfn.clpgh.org

> If this doesn't make sense to you, let us know (step by step) how you
> get to lynx, what you mean by "telnet to lynx", and how you access the
> files that you want to get to your home computer.

This is good advice for folk reporting problems - tell us a) what
specific machine, OS, type of connection, and version of
lynx you use, b) what specific steps you take, and what happens that
makes you think something is wrong.

Of course, what _might_ be the case in this situation is that the user
doesn't know where to start - a series of standard questions might be nice
to have around as a starting point in diagnosis (we've discussed
this in the past).

Let me try to phrase the question I think is being asked.  If one is
working from a local PC, Mac, what ever, and uses telnet to connect to
an INTERNET shell account, then on that machine uses lynx to connect to
a web server, then wants to get a file from the web server back to the
original machine, is there a way to do this in one step?  Or are you
forced to download from the web server to the shell account, and then
somehow download from that point to the local machine?

I've never figured out how to do the download from ISP to local machine
when a telnet connection is all I had available.

Jungle, how is that - close to what you want?  If not, then perhaps someone
will take pity on _me_ and answer that question...  P.S.  I _know_ this
is not a strictly lynx question - but if there's a way to configure lynx
to provide a straight pass thru to my local machine, I would love to
hear about it.