Re: LYNX-DEV Telnet Downloading from lynx

From: Jacob Poon
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Telnet Downloading from lynx
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 14:13:10 -0500

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Doug Kaufman wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, jungle wrote:
>
> If you are connecting to a shell account, and want to download files to
> your home computer from a remote computer that you access via http or
> ftp from lynx there are two main choices. The first is to save the file
> as a local file on your shell account, then later transfer to your home
> computer by any compatible protocol that your home computer and the ISP
> shell can agree upon. The second is to configure lynx to make this one
> of the download options. So far, it sounds like the second would be too
> complicated for you to do on your own. You might need to ask your ISP to
> configure lynx for the download option that you need.
>
> If you really need to transfer files across telnet, kermit can work if
> properly configured on both sides of the transfer. Zmodem will generally
> fail, since it usually requires 8-bit transparency.

Not true.  According to Omen Technology (the Zmodem-90 maker), Zmodem-90
automatically detects 7-bit paths.  So if your Zmodem doesn't work where
Kermit does, it could be the problem of the Zmodem driver (either or both
sides), not the protocol itself.

> > from stalker called port connect. I have zterm and mac kermit can ther work
>
> If you are on a unix shell account, the usual command to transfer a file
> to your home computer via kermit is "kermit -is <filename>", where you
> replace <filename> by the name of the file you want to transfer. After
> the transfer has succeeded, remove it from your shell account with the
> command "rm <filename>". To transfer via zmodem,  try the command
> "sz -b <filename>", then remove the file with "rm <filename>".

For one pass operation, use following:

Kermit:  kermit <filename> -is ;rm <filename>
(This isn't exactly 1 pass since kermit has no automatic deletion.)

Zmodem:  sz -rub <filename>