LYNX-DEV Re: UNIXish and DOSish software

From: Michael Sokolov
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: UNIXish and DOSish software
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 03:34:44 -0400 (EDT)

   Scott McGee <address@hidden> wrote:
> Incorrect speculation! In my case, as with many other (especially lynx
> users I suspect) I am forced to use Windows because it is my employers
> machine, I have certain DOS/Windows only software that I must use, and
> other such considerations. I don't like working with DOS/Windows, but do
> so because I have to.

   If you like UNIX, why can't you install it on your laptop and bring it
with you? This way it will be on your own machine and your employer will
have no say whatsoever.

> Certainly there are people who feel as you describe, but I doubt that
> they are in the majority among DOS/WIN lynx users.

   I'm not trying to sell my work, so I don't care whether I am in the
majority or not. I am working on Lynx in the first place only because I use
it myself, and I believe that the same is true of all people who work on
free software. When there are several conflicting ideologies, the one that
usually gets chosen is the one preferred by the most active contributor. I
certainly don't claim to be one, but I can definitely contribute some
useful stuff, so you will have to put up with at least some of my ideology.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299
   ARPA Internet SMTP mail: address@hidden