Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 01:00:26 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
>Doesn't concern me a great deal what Netscape would or wouldn't
>do, but it does irk me to no end that Lynx users should feel a
>need to change the user agent string.  I really love Lynx, enough
>that I sacrifice the use of sites that refuse to accept connections
>except from the big two.  When I have the time, I write to web
>authors to try to persuade them to throw their prejudices away.

Unfortunately, Wells Fargo does not seem to want to support Lynx..

So I got SSL installed, and when I tell Lynx to use the Mozilla string,
I can then log into my Wells Fargo account and *get real stuff done*.

Since I can change the user agent string *live*, and I could get a
special version compiled with it always calling itself Mozilla, it seems
ridiculous to have this "halfway" option...

If there were no user option to change user agent, taking the strictly
_morally correct_ approach, I probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

But I think since I *can* change it, and it is *in the real world* useful
to change it, my change *should be saved* in my user preferences.

>seems to be just asking for flippant changes that could lessen the
>statistical weight of the Lynx user base, as well as possibly make

Why? if it says

Mozilla/4.04 [en] (Lynx Compatible)

it will still get the same "statistical weight" as IE browsers do when
they say

Mozilla/4.04 [en] (IE 4.0/Mac)
or whatever.