Re: LYNX-DEV Re: <pre></pre> <Hx></Hx> BUG

From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: <pre></pre> <Hx></Hx> BUG
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 15:20:36 -0500 (CDT)

You (Jan Hlavacek) wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 05, 1998 at 11:58:27AM -0500, Filip M Gieszczykiewicz wrote:
> > BTW, we're talking stuff like the above, "<" and ">" in <pre></pre>
> > blocks, etc. NOT stuff like alts for images, navigational control,
> > etc. It's the little, stupid and anal things that piss me off.
>
> Just one question.  How exactly would you expect <Hn> ... </Hn> inside
> <PRE> </PRE> to behave?   It should be preformated,  so you cannot
> change font size or indenting,  you cannot split lines,  ...
>
> What is the difference between
>
> <pre>
> blabla
> <H1>heading</H1>
> blabla
> </pre>
>
> and
>
> <pre>
> blabla
> heading
> blabla
> </pre>

This is the anal POV that I'm having a problem with. Of course, the
Lynx Way(tm) is to say "Invalid HTML", barf, and refuse to show the
page. Right? Who is that friendly to? Show the damned page... don't
change the fonts, etc. Just SHOW it. Make it all upcase if you
want to more FRIENDLY to the user... "Deal with it".

You know, when they have these jokes "if your OS was a car" and they
have Windows 95 "nice chrome, great dashboard, drives great, handles
well, but blows up every other week killing all occupants"... we could
add lynx to there with "handles good roads but when it enounters a
pot-hole, it blows up and heads for the ditch"...

[Grrrr] Not that I'm upset or anything :-|

As Far As I'm Concerned (AFAIC): Lynx should NEVER "give up". It should
MAYBE give a warning, but then it should kludge its way through (^V)
and show the damned page. Until then, it's a "validator" not a "browser"
and you can't convince me otherwise. So there! ;-)

Take care.