Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 13:58:13 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Sat Apr  4 23:46:18 1998
> From: Michael Sokolov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 03:25:26 -0400 (EDT)
<snip>
> serious settings, there are userdefs.h and lynx.cfg. The user agent string
> is a serious setting and should not be taken lightly, therefore .lynxrc is
> not the right place for it.

WRONG WRONG WRONG!

You must think about those accessing the internet via an ISP
where SOMEONE ELSE has not only COMPILED the program, but has
also SET UP the .CFG file.

With such a situation, the USER has new versions of lynx thrown
at him with no warnings at all, and these new versions come with
NEW .CFG files too!

I say that YES we DO want the setting to be in the .lynxrc file.

Somewhere that is SIMPLE (compared to the .cfg!), and ESPECIALLY
that is PER USER.

About the idea of "advising" someone of the propriety of resetting
that string, my idea, posted maybe two weeks ago, of having
the option-processor throw up a screen "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO
DO THIS?" should suffice.

ALSO, to enable this change to be MORE TEMPORARY, make it a TOGGLE,
between lynx and mozilla or whatever.

Also, have the "=" status-screen SHOW the current state of that toggle.