Re: LYNX-DEV Re: <pre></pre> <Hx></Hx> BUG

From: Jan Hlavacek
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: <pre></pre> <Hx></Hx> BUG
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 17:09:52 -0400

On Sun, Apr 05, 1998 at 03:20:36PM -0500, Filip M Gieszczykiewicz wrote:
> This is the anal POV that I'm having a problem with. Of course, the
> Lynx Way(tm) is to say "Invalid HTML", barf, and refuse to show the
> page. Right?

Wrong!  I don't know which version of lynx are you using,  but I have
never had lynx refusing to show mw a page.  At most it flarhes "Invalid
HTML" on the status line briefly, so I know that I should probably press
^V to change parser  (which other browser offers you two different
parsers?).

> change the fonts, etc. Just SHOW it. Make it all upcase if you
> want to more FRIENDLY to the user... "Deal with it".

Lynx does deal with it.  It assumes that you forgot the </PRE> tag,
and inserts one for you.  If it did anything else,  it may please you,
but then somebody else would start complaining that if they forget one
</PRE> tag,  the rest of their page is going to look like a garbage,
and that lynx should deal with it...

> You know, when they have these jokes "if your OS was a car" and they
> have Windows 95 "nice chrome, great dashboard, drives great, handles
> well, but blows up every other week killing all occupants"... we could
> add lynx to there with "handles good roads but when it enounters a
> pot-hole, it blows up and heads for the ditch"...

Ever since 2.7.1, I have never had lynx crash on a page. It may display
pile of garbage,  but it doesn't crash.

> As Far As I'm Concerned (AFAIC): Lynx should NEVER "give up". It should
> MAYBE give a warning, but then it should kludge its way through (^V)

It's exactly what it does,  AFAIK.

lahvak
--
Jan Hlav\'{a}\v{c}ek