LYNX-DEV Lynx bookmark display problems

From: Jacob Poon
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx bookmark display problems
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 17:09:07 -0400

Tested on:

Lynx 2.7.2 (Unix/Sun)

I have problems with the following HTML codes placed in my bookmark:

<!--View following with ISO Latin 1 font-->
<LI><a href="http://members.aol.com/ksc1/index.htm";>Kasey's Korner</a>
<LI><a href="http://www.iicm.edu/Cpub";>Günter Nagler's midi utilities</a>
<LI><a href="http://www.webt.com/psxcovers/";>PSX Covers Site!</a>
<LI><a href="http://www.racking.net/stone/left.htm";>Welcome</a>

When I am pressing up/down key to highlight the second line of above code,
lynx placed the cursor of 2nd line one column to the left and locates on
the dot. That is:

   132. Gnter Nagler's midi utilities
      ^
      +----Cursor is at the dot, not a column right

Furthermore, Lynx renders the bookmark list as follows:

   131. Kasey's Korner
   132. Gnter Nagler's midi utilities
   333. PSX Covers Site!
   134. Welcome

The bookmark # 123 is incorrectly rendered to 333, and sometimes 332.  But
that's not all, when I redraw screen by pressing ctrl-L, these lines are
re-rendered as:

   131. Kasey's Korner
   132. Gnter Nagler's midi utilities
  133.  PSX Covers Site!
   134. Welcome

It turned out that was because the display character set was set to
'DosLatinUS (cp437)' (aka US-ASCII) and viewing the page under xterm.
After I turn change DCS to ISO-Latin 1, it is displayed properly under
xterm as follows:

(View following with ISO Latin 1 font)

   131. Kasey's Korner
   132. Günter Nagler's midi utilities
   133. PSX Covers Site!
   134. Welcome

So what am I complaining?  Well, I suspect Lynx's code page translation
had some bugs in it.  The 'ü' (ISO Latin code 1 252) wasn't properly
translated into US-ASCII code 129 (''), and possibly mistranslated into
some strange control code, which gets further interpreted by xterm (which
uses ISO-Latin 1 font) and ruins the text formatting, until changes DCS in
Lynx back to ISO Latin 1.

This didn't happen when I use shell account from home, since the home
machine's DCS is always US-ASCII.  Setting DCS as ISO Latin 1 or
DosLatinUS (cp437)  _in Lynx_ does not mess up formatting in that case,
the display only shows different character at the link # 132 in the
rendered example code.

BTW, just out of curiosity, what does character number 129 in ISO Latin 1
character set looks like?

Anyway, another OL bug w.r.t. >99 list entries:

Given following HTML code:

<ol>
<LI><a href="http://vgstrategies.miningco.com/msubsnes.htm";>Video Game
Cheat Codes, Hints, FAQs: SNES - Internet Resources from The Mining
Company</a>

Lynx rendered it as:

   123. Video Game Cheat Codes, Hints, FAQs: SNES - Internet Resources
       from The Mining Company

Notice the 2nd line is 1 space left from the 1st line.  Although current
lynx doesn't do multi-pass rendering so it can't align the 100th+ list
item number to the dot, this bug has nothing to do with such issue (and
shouldn't).  In this case, lynx should start 2nd line (and beyond) of
rendered text within list item at the same column as the first line of
rendered text does, regardless of current list number.  Lynx should not
start the further lines at 2 columns right of the end of the hard-coded
<LI> number space. In the example above, the lines should be rendered as:

   123. Video Game Cheat Codes, Hints, FAQs: SNES - Internet Resources
        from The Mining Company

or

   12345. Video Game Cheat Codes, Hints, FAQs: SNES - Internet Resources
          from The Mining Company

if it is the 12345th link.  Note that I didn't ask for every list item
number to be aligned to the dot (but if anyone can do it with lynx, that's
another story :).