Re: LYNX-DEV Re: <pre></pre> <Hx></Hx> BUG

From: Rob
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: <pre></pre> <Hx></Hx> BUG
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 00:27:26 +0100 (BST)

Philip Webb wrote:

> amid all the speechifying, there is a perfectly good question:
> what should Lynx do if it encounters some other tag within  <PRE>...</PRE> ?

Ideally?  Follow the DTD and insert the implied </PRE>.
Realistically?  Whatever the user is expecting it to do...

> that could be discussed, but there's a genuine point of debate here,
> which is currently being ignored.

As far as "correctness" goes, there's no point of debate - the authoritative
description of anything you call text/html is the DTD from W3C, and that
says you can't have Hx inside PRE.  My personal opinion is that lynx shouldn't
contribute to the tag-soup mentality by ignoring incorrect markup.  However,
I'm a self-confessed purist who doesn't really browse the web as such (I visit
about three sites occasionally), so I suspect I'm in a minority.  I'd prefer
lynx to "do it right", but I'm not averse to lynx "doing it usefully" instead.