Re: LYNX-DEV LYMessages_en.h translation

From: Henrik Wist
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYMessages_en.h translation
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 22:20:37 +0200

Hi,

On Apr 05, Webmaster Jim wrote:
> I've split the current LYMessages_en.h file into 9 chunks that
> should fit into the mouth of the babelfish
> (http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com).  So any intrepid fishers
> out there can hook into these and mail us the translations, with
> appropriate proofing first.
>
> Check out:  http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/current/messages/
>
> Some samples:
>
> #define REJECTING_COOKIE "Rejecting this cookie."
> #define COOKIE_JAR_IS_EMPTY "The Cookie Jar is empty."
> #define COOKIE_JAR_TITLE "Lynx Cookie Jar"
> #define REACHED_COOKIE_JAR_PAGE "You have reached the Lynx Cookie Jar Page"
>
> # definieren Sie REJECTING_COOKIE ", das zurückweist dieses Plätzchen. "
> # definieren Sie COOKIE_JAR_IS_EMPTY, ", welches das Plätzchenglas ist leer."
> # definieren Sie Plätzchenglas COOKIE_JAR_TITLE " Lynx "
> # definieren REACHED_COOKIE_JAR_PAGE, ", das Sie die Plätzchen-Glasseite Lynx"

aaargl. With these bad (to say the least) translations, babelfish is of no
help. This is not even a start. Changing the above in proper german might as
well take as long as start an english-german translation from the scratch.
Now I can hear you "oh well, then you do volunteer, don't you?". Yes I would,
if only I had the time. And no, the alternative is not "so then let's use this
babelfish, it's a start". It's not a start, it's awful.
Regards,
Henrik
--
address@hidden    // IRC: |GOOSE| //   address@hidden

If we postulate that lusers have a brain, it is the human equivalent of ROMs
(pretty empty ones, to boot).  You can try to write to it as long as you want.
                               Felix von Leitner <address@hidden>