Re: LYNX-DEV Unusual use of Lynx

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Unusual use of Lynx
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 09:24:09 +0900 (JST)

> My company will be using the Lynx browser to give access to our html pages
> via a Minitel terminal.  Because the only reason for access is data

One of the major driving forces behind the early development of Lynx.
Therefore, you will find tremendous flexibility in configuring systems
of this type.  You need to study the documentation, which is complete,
albeit being spread out in bits and pieces.  The point is, you can do
virtually anything you want, and securely, something the big two can't
even hold a candle to.  NOT "Unusual use" for Lynx.

> collection, I want to configure Lynx so that the user will not be able to
> "browse" the web... but only gain access to the documents on my web server.

Depends on how "strict" you want to be.  Look into, for example, running
in -anonymous mode and turning off "G)oto".  There is a whole section of
userdefs.h just for such compile-time configuration.  Also study the
run-time option switches (command line switches along the order of
-validate, -restrictions, etc.).  Maybe you won't need news?  Then don't
compile or link in that module.  Can't even mention all the options
you have, let alone explain them.

__Henry