Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX, change temp download dir from /tmp

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX, change temp download dir from /tmp
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 11:29:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Mark H. Wood wrote:
> > > Instead of the standard TMPDIR ?  :-(
> > The /tmp/ directory is hardcoded into lynx at time of compilation in
> > USERDEFS.H. See this extract:
> So should I roll up my sleeves and fix this, or will I be met with a
> storm of protest?  The TEMP_SPACE compiletime variable should at most be
> used as a fallback if tempnam(3) is unavailable on the system built for.
> (tempnam(3) will follow the environment variable TMPDIR if you define it,
> or a given directory if not NULL, or the value of the Posix symbol
> P_tmpdir, or "/tmp", in that order.)  I wouldn't *remove*
> LYNX_TEMP_SPACE, of course, but it shouldn't be needed and could be
> marked as a deprecated feature to be removed someday.

Sounds like a good idea.  Perhaps the first thing to do would be to
construct (or borrow) a configure test so that the standard approach is to
use tempnam().

On the other hand, see the archives about the security risks of using /tmp
for storing Lynx temporary files....

------
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
Oh, fine, if you happen to like being me which personally I don't.