Re: LYNX-DEV CHANGES 2.8.1dev.5

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV CHANGES 2.8.1dev.5
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 07:01:18 -0400

From: "T.E.Dickey" <address@hidden>
> I've seen cscope, and it's a bit clumsier than what I do myself in this
> case - I do a 'find' to get a list of the filenames, pipe that into my
> directory editor, select all of the files (or the .c & .h files) and grep
> for the specific words piped into vile (vi-like-emacs) - then walk through the
> changes in the editor).
>
> (sounds like a lot, but it's faster to type than to explain ;-)

The thing I like about cscope over grepping is that cscope won't worry
about words within other words or words in comments (unless of course
you want it to worry about them).  And you don't HAVE to go into the
editor - you can just do a global change if you are certain that's what
you want.  But I do sometime similar to what you describe for certain
types of changes myself.  I suspect if I broke down and started using
emacs or crisp I could make some of these types of changes much easier.
But I am happy with nvi ...