Re: LYNX-DEV CHANGES 2.8.1dev.5

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV CHANGES 2.8.1dev.5
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:11:24 -0400 (EDT)

> From: "T.E.Dickey" <address@hidden>
> > I've seen cscope, and it's a bit clumsier than what I do myself in this
> > case - I do a 'find' to get a list of the filenames, pipe that into my
> > directory editor, select all of the files (or the .c & .h files) and grep
> > for the specific words piped into vile (vi-like-emacs) - then walk through
> > the
> > changes in the editor).
> >
> > (sounds like a lot, but it's faster to type than to explain ;-)
>
> The thing I like about cscope over grepping is that cscope won't worry
> about words within other words or words in comments (unless of course
for words-within-words:
        fgrep -w
(for GNU grep) does nicely.  I tend to change the comments anyway (but try
to leave the change log alone ;-)

> you want it to worry about them).  And you don't HAVE to go into the
> editor - you can just do a global change if you are certain that's what
> you want.  But I do sometime similar to what you describe for certain
> types of changes myself.  I suspect if I broke down and started using
> emacs or crisp I could make some of these types of changes much easier.
> But I am happy with nvi ...
well, at least you're not saying that vim is the only way to accomplish
this (no problem).  But cscope seems a little overrated from the little
I'd used it.  (combining simpler tools works better for me).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden