Re: LYNX-DEV messages file

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV messages file
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:18:48 -0400 (EDT)

> This surprises me- I thought that all of the messages had been moved out.
Just the commonly-used ones, I'd thought.  The logging messages mostly aren't,
but the ones that go to the status line are (probably).

> There are however quite a number of msgs which still appear in the lynx
> specific source code.  What surprised me is how many errors are
> output to stdout rather than stderr .   There are 42 printf
> statements in the lynx src directory alone - I didn't attempt to determine
> how many are in the various other libraries and utilities.  Of these
> 42 printf's, 12 of them appear to use defines from a header file.
> There are also some of the hundreds of sprintf which have english in the
> actual format string, rather than using something from a message header.
> And of the over 700 fprintf messages, a significant number have english
> in them.
>
> There's a lot of work to truely make lynx international...
yes - I agree with that.  The format-string aspect is one that I don't
recall that gettext really addresses (since you may want to switch the
order of substitutions for some languages).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden