Re: LYNX-DEV LYMessages_en.h translation

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYMessages_en.h translation
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 15:44:43 -0400 (EDT)

to follow up on what T.E.Dickey said:

> > One potential danger is that what doesn't get distributed doesn't
> > get used, and falls out of sync quietly so that you don't fix it
> > and when you do need it, it doesn't work.
> yes - but if we do the gettext (or whatever) integration properly, those
> extra files are just data, like
>
>       00001 Hello world
>       00002 Do you wish to quit
>
> (and once assigned, we _don't_ change the numbers).

What is your opinion of

        A: opaque irrevokable integers as above and vector retrieval
        (code not mnemonic)

        B: sorta-English message names as at present and
        hash the access of the translations.  (program biased
        to U.S. English base, OtherLanguages 2nd class).

        C: mnemonic+integer message names.   (long names)
        (integer extract plus vector access for retrieve)

??

Al