Re: LYNX-DEV LYMessages_en.h translation

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYMessages_en.h translation
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 20:50:15 -0400 (EDT)

> > gettext uses an index (i.e., numbers) for each message, and relates it
> > to an external file.  That would be relatively simple to migrate to with
>
> Just so the record is straight, I have no beef with "gettext" adding to
> the size of the distribution  -- because it is a valid solution.
I'm ok with it - it's not what I was focused on in Lynx, but it's worth
doing (perhaps someone will make a patch so it gets done...)

> Remember that the whole LYMessage_??.h mechanism was set up by Fote as
> a *temporary* way to at least get some of the status line strings available
> to change.  Before that there was NOTHING, short of hardcoding.
true - I'm not entirely happy with vile's messages & sometime will abstract
them into a list (same problem).

> Did my "lpansi" patch make it in, and the whole /utils subdirectory get
> removed?  (Sorry, I leave in less than an hour, and probably will be out
> of touch for three weeks or so.)
I have that on my to-do list, yes (still am doing paperwork, but plan to spend
most of one of the remaining 4 days on lynx).

> > I don't see any reason to put them in the main distribution (just make them
> > available as an add-on package).
>
> I'm glad to hear this, because once "gettext" is implemented the present ??.h
> files won't be needed.
right - just lots of little data files.

--
Thomas E. Dickey