Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX, change temp download dir from /tmp

From: Jonathan Sergent
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX, change temp download dir from /tmp
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:27:20 -0500 (CDT)

 ] that's half the problem (some people think we should use mkstemp rather
 ] than tempnam - though I don't see myself how that would plugthe security
 ] holes).
 ]
 ]
 ] --
 ] Thomas E. Dickey
 ] address@hidden
 ] http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey

tempnam doesn't work since you need to have the right extension on the
temp file or things don't work right.

mkstemp could be used to fix the race condition (which is still there
unless TEMP_SPACE (or $LYNX_TEMP_SPACE) != /tmp).  You have to do more
stuff than that though.  Due to the way that Lynx slings around temp
files and uses them over again, an approach like I was in the middle
of taking last summer before I gave up (creating the files safely with
mode 600, and doing some funky stuff so that the temp name maker knows
what extension to use) will work.  I got the impression that nobody was
really interested in it and I was getting busier and busier at work so
I sort of abandoned it.  Should I try again? It is possible to totally
avoid the race condition as long as the public /tmp has the sticky bit
set on it, and you're using a machine with "sticky" directory support
(which is pretty much everything these days).

Or do people really use TMPDIR and/or LYNX_TEMP_SPACE rather than /tmp?
In any case, using $TMPDIR instead of $LYNX_TEMP_SPACE is a really
easy change.

--
Jonathan Sergent / address@hidden