Re: LYNX-DEV Unsubscribed posting

From: Foteos Macrides
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 12:34:09 -0400

Laura Eaves <address@hidden> wrote:
> For some inexplicable reason your post was the last I received
> from lynx-dev since Saturday.  Did u get any replies to your mail?
> I don't know the answer to your question, although I think
> some filtering is done as my posts sometimes don't go
> through even though I'm subscribed.  I sometimes have to send
> email to address@hidden who is apparently handling the list.
>
>i would like to know why I've not received anything from lynx-dev in
>2.5 days when I usually get 50 or 60 posts a day.

        I got direct replies saying that it's possible, but their CCs to
lynx-dev haven't shown up, so I guess there's a majordomo problem for the
list.

> Also, are you still planning to do any work on lynx, or
> are u dropping it altogether?  Some of the recent posts
> (from Sokolov in particular) imply that there are some who
> didn't "recognize" 2.8 as the next release.  Are u aware of
> any other work besides what the people at slcc are doing?
> If so I'd be interested in subscribing...

        As I've said all along, when the devel code is released, Lynx will
be wherever that went, and so as far as I am concerned, v2.8 is the
"official" Lynx.

        I don't personally see any problem with people setting up additional
distributions to develop new features, so they can refine the mods based on
feedback, and without the complication of other developers making other
changes that might interact, perhaps adversely.  I had always encouraged
that when I was the coordinator, and when the mods seemed stable, would work
them into the main version (with my own additional enhancements, and making
sure the programming style and commenting was consistent and likely to be
interpretable by future developers).  That's how the slang support was added
(I asked John Davis to start his own full version, then worked it into the
main version when John's was stable), as well as the CJK support, the
multi-bookmark support, the cookie support, and your form field numbering
support.  But I'm not the coordinator now, and others are responsible for
ensuring its viability.

        The "spare time" progamming resources that will be available to me
are still unclear, so I still can't say whether I'll be doing any more
work on Lynx myself.

                                Fote
--
Foteos Macrides (address@hidden during April, '98)