Re: lynx-dev tracelog doesn't work in 2.8

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev tracelog doesn't work in 2.8
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 12:39:19 +0900 (JST)

> color-styles is just the piece that prevents me from changing the default
> parser to tagsoup.

Of course!  Thanks, it finally dawned on me what was happening.  Since
Klaus was the one who incorporated Rob's styles code, of course he'd hook
it up to his own parser.

I hope you will continue work on getting the user-friendly (Fote's) parser
to be the default.  (I do hope, however, you are not dumping Klaus'
entirely.)  Big chore, but well worth it.

> for some time (hadn't noticed that ^T was supposed to work; no one commented
> on it til today - so I'l get to it when I'm not trying to untangle the
> parsers)

No need.  As Doug explained, it's a compile-time configuration problem.
A trace log file IS created for me on SunOS4.1.3, Lynx Version 2.8rel.3.
Doug's suggestion (did it go that far?) to make the default TRUE might
be acted on.                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tom, there is a problem being created by ignoring userdefs.h.  Everyone
is relying on autoconf these days, without understanding that there are
still things that *may* require editing of userdefs.h.

For example, I was stung by: "
#else   /* Unix */
        /* this is done via the configure script */
" in userdefs.h.

The paths to binaries, e.g., unzip, are NOT correctly defined by the
configure script if they happen to be in non-standard places.  I would
have appreciated a note on how to set non-standard paths to the binaries
Lynx uses, rather than tell me userdefs.h no longer supports defining on
Unix.  Remember users may have binaries renamed, newer versions than what
is in /usr/bin, even more than one version within their own account ~, etc.

__Henry