Re: lynx-dev Re: LYNX-DEV Unsubscribed posting

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:41:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, David Woolley wrote:
> > The attached shows that mail.sig.net is rejecting postings from specific
> > addresses, or accepting from only certain addresses.
> Oops.  I'm not going to decode it just for this...
Pity.

> However the message indicated a reasonable anti-spam measure to reject
> mail from addresses with no name in the DNS.  These are typical of
> spam sending site, and otherwise indicate poorly run sites.
> Every IP address used on the internet really ought to have an in-addr.arpa.
> entry.  Moreover this should translate to a name which has an A record
> pointing
> to the address; failure to meet this condition will cause TCP Wrappers to
> reject you, when in paranoid mode.
>
> Spammers without in-addr.arpa particularly annoy me, because I have to do
> an online trace, often degenerating to a slow traceroute, to find a
> responsible ISP on their supplier chain.
>
> Many FTP sites, will reject traffic under these conditions as well.

Of course, sol.slcc.edu *is* in the DNS tables, which means it's not being
rejected as an outlaw site (it hosts the lynx distribution...), but
because of other reasons.  Scott McGee can post from the same host
(e.g., http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0498/msg00040.html).

!/jes> nslookup sol.slcc.edu
!Server:  mail.bcpl.lib.md.us
!Address:  204.255.212.10