[no subject]

From: Smith and O'Halloran
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:13:26 -0700 (PDT)

From: address@hidden (Smith and O'Halloran)
Newsgroups: best.unix
Subject: Re: Lynx and GetUsage
Date: 17 Apr 1998 11:10:47 -0700

In article <address@hidden>,
Malcolm Hoar <address@hidden> wrote:
>In article <address@hidden>, Michael <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> A histogram of your last 24 hours worth of activity
>> is shown below
>>
>> USER shotgun
>> uid  2555:
>>
>> 17:00
>>    0.00 MB
>>     0 hits
>>   0.00 cpu
>
>This is either a bug in getuseage.cgi or lynx 2.8 - I'm not
>sure which. See my post in best.bugs from a few days ago.

Oh, it is quite clear that the bug is in lynx-2.8.

|       Script started on Fri Apr 17 11:02:48 1998
|       (home/inwap) address@hidden> telnet shell3.ba.best.com 80
|       Trying 206.184.139.134...
|       Connected to shell3.ba.best.com.
|       Escape character is '^]'.
|       GET /getusage.cgi?name=inwap http/1.0
|
|       HTTP/1.0 200 OK
|       Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 18:03:22 GMT
|       Server: BESTWWWD/2.3
|
|       A histogram of your last 24 hours worth of activity
|       is shown below
|
|       USER inwap      uid  2280:
|               17:00      4.09 MB        732 hits        0.87 cpu

The server clearly states "Content-type: text/plain", then outputs lines
with tab characters.  And the thing that shows that it is definitely a
lynx bug is what Michael noticed: it fails when the URL to the CGI is
specified on the command line, but not when specified via the "G" command.
        -Joe

--
INWAP.COM is Joe and Sally Smith, John and Chris O'Halloran and our cats
See http://www.inwap.com/ for "ReBoot", PDP-10, and Clan MacLeod.