Re: lynx-dev Directory Editing

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Directory Editing
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 03:07:11 -0400 (EDT)

980417 Jesse wrote:
> LYNX from the file, OS2LYNX271R1.ZIP (BOBBES), is the version
> installed on my F: HPFS drive. mY OS is WARP 4.
> the DIRED mode does not seem to be working:
> 1.  According to the LYNX Users Guide DIRED mode is entered
> by use of an URL of the form file://localhost/path/.
> Every attempt to open such an URL fails and generates an Alert.
> What could be a possible cause of this phenomenon ?
> 2.  There are descriptions of how to disable DIRED support,
> but nothing telling me how to enable it.
> How can the current state of DIRED support be determined
> and, more important, how can I emable it ?
> 3.  The Help instructions refer frequently to a choice between UNIX and VMS.
> The use of OS/2 WARP 4 as my operating system leaves me in some perplexity
> as to what course to follow. For example, how should KEDIT.EXE in G:\KEX
> be specified to LYNX as my editor of choice ?

i hope i'm not offending any hard-working developer,
but i believe the OS/2 port of Lynx is not well-supported:
ie someone got it basically working, but it has known problems.

as an apparent OS/2 regular user -- if not expert -- ,
you should consider having a look at the Lynx code yourself
to try to find & correct the problem:
that is exactly how Lynx gets improved & ported around.
you may find some help in the Archive at  www.flora.org/lynx-dev/ .
of course, report any progress or difficulties on lynx-dev.