Re: lynx-dev May 4th subscription instructions

From: David Woolley
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:47:27 +0100 (BST)

> I'd like to again suggest that the lynx-dev list be gatewayed to a newsgroup.
> That would cut down a lot of the email traffic and would make it easier to
> follow a discussion thread.

Newsgroups with small numbers of subscribers are difficult to set up.
This is for good reasons - they waste resources.  They also tend to
get poor propagation and are vulnerable to spam, and probably worse,
off topic material from people who post semi-randomly rather than try
to work out exactly which newsgroup to use (one group for micro-computer
hardware designers was overrun by PC assembly questions).  Given that it
would have to be in a browser hierarchy (the misc group currently handles
Lynx, of course) you will find that most articles are from MSIE/Netscape
users who have it every group in the hierarchy.

In any case, if a gateway can thread the messages, so can the end user -
there are mail user agents around (although I don't use one) that will
thread email, provided In-Reply-To: is used in certain ways (which is
not a requirement of RFC 822).  Even then, mixed newsgroups/lists tend
to have a large number of unthreadable articles.

If all you mean is thread by subject, your problem is your user agent, not
the delivery mechanism.