Re: lynx-dev May 4th subscription instructions

From: Howard Kaikow
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 06:09:36 -0400

I would agree that 3 lists is a good idea.

However, I believe that use of a newgroup is sort of a chicken and egg
problem (or Field of Dreams). If you build the newsgroup and announce it,
then THEY will come.

Personally, I do not like the "push" aspects of lists. I am forced to
receive all messages. With a newsgroup, I can scan the headers and decide
what I want to look at, not to mention it is easier to follow threads in a
newsgroup.

One possibiliy mighr be to have the lynx newsgroups on a particular
newserver. If the groups get active, then the newsgroups could be
propogated elsewhere, or turned into alt.* or comp.* groups. This
eliminates the initial overhead of setting up official newsgroups.