Re: Newsgroup ? (Was: Re: lynx-dev May 4th subscription instructions)

From: Jan Hlavacek
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 13:43:10 -0400

On Sat, Apr 18, 1998 at 06:09:36AM -0400, Howard Kaikow wrote:
> I would agree that 3 lists is a good idea.

Actually, I have never said that.  All I said was that instead of
starting the newsgroup creation threadmill,  we may want to consider
mailing lists instead.

> However, I believe that use of a newgroup is sort of a chicken and egg
> problem (or Field of Dreams). If you build the newsgroup and announce it,
> then THEY will come.

But if you create newsgroup in some local hierarchy,  people will have
problems accessing it.  If we use alt,  I am still woried about
propagation.

> Personally, I do not like the "push" aspects of lists. I am forced to
> receive all messages. With a newsgroup, I can scan the headers and decide
> what I want to look at, not to mention it is easier to follow threads in a
> newsgroup.

Threading is a function of your user agent.  There are unthreaded
newsreaders,  and there are mail usr agents which can do threading.  It
is true that References header is better for threading then In-Reply-To
combine with subject threading,  but the fact is that you can do
threding in e-mail.

On the other hand,  there are advantages to lists.  I can for example
feed both lynx-dev and lynx-users into one mailbox,  to get more
complete picture about lynx.  Of course there are newsreders which will
let you combine groups together.  And for any gnus user,  this
discussion sounds probably very silly.

Whatever the conclusion of the above will be,  I am in favour of
creating lynx-announce list.

lahvak
--
Jan Hlav\'{a}\v{c}ek