Re: lynx-dev May 4th subscription instructions

From: Laura Eaves
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 16:29:59 -0400 (EDT)

> Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 15:55:46 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Howard Kaikow <address@hidden>
> Is the existence of that list widely known? This is th first I have heard
> of it.

I assume you're referring to lynx-learners...
I don't know how widely know it is/was but I just
sent a "who lynx-learners" command to address@hidden and it
replied ty saying there was no such list as lynx-learners.
I wonder if it was discontinued.
Does anyone else know what happened to lynx-learners?

> I believe that most people do not like "push" mechanisms such aslists,
> rather they prefer newsgroups.
>
> If there are to be lists, there needs to be at least 3, maybe 4:
>
> lynx-learners: For novices, but likely could be replaced by
> lynx-browser: For general discussion.
> lynx-announce: Just for announcements of releases and availability of dev
> releases.
> lynx-dev: For the devos and others deeply interested in the innards of
> Lynx.
>
> If such lists existed, then I would suggest that the lynx-browser and
> lynx-learners should be gatewayed to newsgroups.

I agree -- and even think they should be a single  newsgroup.

> There may be little need for lynx-announce to be tied to a newsgroup.
Why not make lynx announcements on a carefully selected set of
other related newsgroups, rather than setting up a newsgroup just
for lynx announcements?.  This would reach a wider audience and might
attract some new users.

> And the tying of lynx-dev to a newsgroup is likely unnecessary if there
> are less than 100 participants, but they can decide amongst themselves.

I think lynx-dev should remain a mailing list whatever the number of
subscribers.
--le