lynx-dev Re: your mail

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: lynx-dev Re: your mail
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:11:24 -0400

Wayne Buttles <address@hidden>
>Try this:
>
>SYSTEM_MAIL:sendmail -f address@hidden -h access.digex.net -r
>mail.access.digex.net SMTP
>SYSTEM_MAIL_FLAGS:

        Since Al reported that it worked for him, I tried it
from here (both with and without the -m before the SMTP, which
apparently doesn't matter because SMTP is the default) to see
if I could use Al's mail account to send mail of my own as if
from Al (I indicated clearly that it was a test, and didn't
earnestly try to make it look as if Al was originating
MAKE MONEY FAST spam or starting an email chain letter :).

        I got no indication from Lynx that anything had failed,
but it's been a while and I still haven't received the test
message I sent to address@hidden as if from Al, so it
apparently did not, in fact, work.

        Do you know if sendmail.exe is checking a database for
authorization info, e.g., that used by Outlook Express, such
that it could be modified to make this type of misuse actually
work?  I presume the sources for sendmail.exe are not available.

                                Fote
--
Foteos Macrides (address@hidden during April, '98)