lynx-dev newsgroups

From: Personal
Subject: lynx-dev newsgroups
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 12:52:11 -0600 (MDT)

Let me through my $5,482.96 (two cents, adjusted for inflation and with
required taxes added) worth in here. News groups are nice. I used to read
a LOT of them. They are, however, passive entities. If you don't go out and
read them, you don't get the info they contain. Mail Lists are more active
in that they push the info to you. This is bad in that it can have a "sink
or swim fast" effect with high volume lists where you have to devote a lot
of time to keeping up, but is also good in that if you get two busy, you
may have to flush your mail box rather than deal with it, but the next load
shows up to remind you of it.

I suspect that a lot of people would start to use a newsgroup, get busy,
and just drift away, where they stay active on a list because of it's ever-
present reminder of itself.

I also see that most all the newsgroups I used to read are flooded with
spam. I don't relish the flood of newsgroup spam flowing back through a
gateway onto the list.

Just stuff to think about.

Scott.

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,
Email: address@hidden (Scott McGee)         | run in circles,
Web:   http://www.slcc.edu/infotech/webmaster.html | scream and shout.
My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the College. Trust me!